It looks like Google has removed another awesome feature within the SERPs.
Within the past week, it looks like Google has removed video thumbnails within search results with the exception of YouTube results. This is clearly another sign that Google is trying to clean up their search results as they also recently removed authorship images in the SERPs.
Google has not officially released any information, but looking at the Google SERP Feature Graph at Mozcast, you can clearly see that there has been a huge drop in search engine results with video thumbnails.
So Now What?
Seeing how only YouTube video thumbnail results are showing up in SERPs, you would think planning a strategy of using YouTube instead of private video hosting solutions (like Vimeo) would be the way to go.
Recently I learned to use this video income method, I learned a whole lot of other peripheral knowledge and now I say use both! Let’s face it, embedding YouTube on your website looks very unprofessional because of the related videos and a plethora of other reasons. So, my thought is to use YouTube for driving traffic to your post or pages and then use Vimeo to embed the same video.
LET ME BREAK IT DOWN STEP-BY-STEP FOR YOU
- Write a blog post where you plan to embed a video
- Create an awesome video
- Upload that video to your YouTube account
- Write an awesome video title and description that is unique and ensure you have a link pointing to the blog post within that description
- Upload the same video to your Vimeo account
- Write an awesome video title and description (not the same as the YouTube one!) that is unique and ensure you have a link pointing to the blog post within that description
- Go back to your blog post and embed the Vimeo video onto that blog post
By doing this, you will be getting:
- Traffic from YouTube
- YouTube Video Thumbnail within the SERPs
- A pretty looking embedded video on your blog post
I personally think this is a strong method to implement that will hold up and work regardless of how Google decides to change their video snippet algorithm.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
HOW WILL AFFECT YOUR VIDEO MARKETING STRATEGY?
Enter your name and email below and you'll get instant access to my course that walks you through starting a blog in 7 days.